Minnesota’s corn farmers are bringing the ethanol-powered “Tasseldega Nights” to Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley on Saturday, July 19. Race fans get in for free, yes, I said FREE, but that’s not the only reason you should go.
Here are top 10 reasons why we hope to see you at the track on Saturday for “Tasseldega Nights.”
1. Win NASCAR Tickets! The Minnesota Corn Growers Association (MCGA) will be giving away 4-pack of tickets and pit passes to the NASCAR race at Bristol Motor Speedway on Aug. 23
2. Learn about homegrown ethanol. Ethanol is clean, renewable and homegrown. It’s also less expensive than regular gasoline and a great value during summer driving months when gas prices skyrocket. “Tasseldega Nights” attendees will learn more about the benefits of ethanol straight from Minnesota corn farmers.
3. Ag Cab-Lab. Give your kids a taste of the farming life by having them drive a simulated tractor or combine while harvesting virtual corn, planting soybeans or cultivating a field in the Ag Cab-Lab.
4. Biofuels Mobile Education Center. The 45-foot Biofuels Mobile Education Center is packed with interactive displays, videos and information about ethanol and other biofuels. It also has a virtual NASCAR simulator that makes kids feel like they’re actually racing around the track.
5. Sit in an ethanol-powered race car. Jonathan Olmscheid races on ethanol and will have his car near the grandstand before the green flag drops on Saturday. Kids can sit behind the wheel and get their photo taken with the Ethanol Racer!
6. T-shirts. Commemorate your family’s “Tasseldega Nights” experience with a souvenir T-shirt. These shirts always sell out fast at MCGA racing events, so get your early.
7. The Ethanol Cup. The race for the inaugural “Ethanol Cup” is on. Drivers at Deer Creek Speedway who use E15 (a blend of 15 percent homegrown ethanol and 85 percent gasoline) are competing for the brand new ethanol cup this summer.
8. Music, magic and more. The grandstands open at 4 p.m. A magic show for the kids kicks off at 4:30 p.m. and there will also be a pre-race band and other entertainment before racing begins.
9. High-five Ted Tassel. MCGA’s cute and cuddly mascot, Ted Tassel, will be roaming the grandstands high-fiving race fans, taking selfies, giving away prizes and celebrating with the winning drivers.
10. FREE admission! I know we mentioned already that “Tasseldega Nights” is free, but it’s worth mentioning again, in all capital letters: “TASSELDEGA NIGHTS” IS FREE!
See you at the track on Saturday!