The Minnesota Corn Growers Association (MCGA) will be at Farmfest this year and they want you to stop by their tent and say hello.
Farmfest is Aug. 5-7 at Gilfillan Estate near Redwood Falls. MCGA is in tent No. 702, at the corner of Seed Road and 7th St. Here are 10 reasons why the MCGA tent at this year’s Farmfest is the place to be:
1. Free sweet corn ice cream. It’s baaaaack! MCGA will once again be dishing up a Farmfest favorite, free sweet corn ice cream. This year’s batch is made by Izzy’s, a popular local ice cream shop in the Twin Cities.
2. Win free propane. MCGA is encouraging corn farmers to plan ahead in the event of another propane shortage this harvest season. MCGA will also help one lucky Farmfest winner with $1,000 in free propane.
3. Win a drone. They’re the next big thing in farming. MCGA will be giving away a Phantom quadcopter, capable of flying over your fields and delivering HD quality pictures and videos straight to your computer or mobile device.
4. Become more pollinator-friendly. To help stop the decline of pollinating insects like bees and butterflies, MCGA has developed a simple and practical guide to help farmers become more pollinator-friendly. MCGA also will be giving away wildflower seed packets at Farmfest to encourage farmers to add pollinator habitat on their farms.
5. Join MCGA. Why haven’t you joined MCGA yet? You’re missing out on adding your voice to 7,000 other members who speak out on important issues while also supporting projects that develop new uses for corn, protect water, land and air resources and connect with the non-farming public.
6. CommonGround. Another way to make your voice heard is to become a part of CommonGround, a volunteer organization where women who grow food start meaningful conversations about farming with women who buy food. CommonGround volunteers will be in the MCGA tent all three days of Farmfest.
7. MCGA-supported Research. Minnesota’s corn farmers support $4 million annually in third-party research projects that do everything from find new uses for corn to learning more about farming and water quality. Researchers from institutions like the University of Minnesota will be in MCGA’s tent to highlight and discuss their lasted corn-farmer funded projects.
8. Flex fuel fun and games. The American Lung Association of Minnesota’s Clean Air Choice team will have a flex fuel vehicle on display along with fun and informative ethanol-themed games and information.
9. Gophers and Twins tickets. In addition to free propane and drone, visitors to MCGA’s tent can register to win tickets to the Aug. 19 Twins game and a non-conference Gophers football game.
10. Free pizza. If free sweet corn ice cream isn’t enough to fill you up, MCGA will be handing out coupons for a free slice of pizza from Big River Pizza. The Minnesota Farmer’s Union will be selling slice of Big River Pizza all three days of Farmfest.