Minnesota’s corn farmers are bringing their ethanol-fueled free racing promotion back to Deer Creek Speedway this summer. On July 11, fans receive free admission to Deer Creek Speedway as part of “Tasseldega Nights,” presented by the Minnesota Corn Growers Association (MCGA).
Grandstands open at 2 p.m. for free kids activities, live music and other attractions. Racing starts at 6 p.m. Deer Creek Speedway is located about 15 minutes south of Rochester on Highway 63.
Be sure to “like” Minnesota Corn on Facebook to learn details on how you can win a “Tasseldega Nights” VIP suite package for you and your friends courtesy of MCGA.
In addition to some of the best auto racing in the Midwest, fans at the track will have an opportunity to learn more about clean, renewable and homegrown ethanol from Minnesota corn farmers. If you’re looking for more fun in addition to racing, MCGA has lined up the following “Tasseldega Nights” activities:
- Racecar simulator. You’ll feel like you’re behind the wheel of an actual ethanol-powered stock car when you climb into this racing simulator.
- The Biofuels Mobile Education Center. Get an up-close look at the positive impact of ethanol and Minnesota-made biofuels by stepping inside this 45-foot long interactive trailer.
- Sit in a real race car. Jonathan Olmscheid races at tracks throughout Minnesota using ethanol to power his car. Jonathan will have his ethanol racer out so kids can sit behind the wheel and take pictures.
- Win discounted fuel. The American Lung Association of Minnesota’s Clean Air Choice team will be on hand, talking with fans about the clean-air benefits of ethanol and giving away discount coupons to fill up with ethanol-blended fuels at local service stations.
- Supermileage vehicles. These funky little go-kart type vehicles run on E85 and are designed to travel long distances on a single gallon of fuel. Local high schools will be showing off their E85 Supermileage cars during the races.
- Other corn-themed giveaways. MCGA will be handing out beads, launching free T-shirts into the crowd, giving away American Ethanol flags and can koozies and talking with people about clean, renewable and homegrown ethanol.
- Ted Tassel. MCGA’s life-sized and energetic mascot, Ted Tassel, will be roaming the grounds in search of high-fives and selfies.
- Ethanol Cup. Qualifying for the “Ethanol Cup” – a special $5,000 points fund that culminates in the “Dash for the Ethanol Cup” from Aug. 8-29 will conclude at “Tasseldega Nights.” All drivers running on E15 – a blend of 15 percent ethanol and 85 percent regular unleaded – or higher qualify to compete in the “Ethanol Cup.”
If you’re planning on attending “Tasseldega Nights” on July 11, the only thing you have to do is show up to the track, come inside, and have a good time. There is no need to sign up or get any sort of pass before the event.