The Minnesota Corn Growers Association (MCGA) will once again have a major presence at this year’s Farmfest, scheduled for Aug. 4-6 at Gilfillan Estate near Redwood Falls.
At noon on Thursday, Aug. 6, Farmfest attendees can get a free cob of delicious sweet corn courtesy of MCGA inside the main forum building. This is the first year that Minnesota’s corn farmers are sponsoring a free sweet corn feed at Farmfest.
MCGA is co-sponsoring rural broadband day on Tuesday, Aug. 4. Forum discussions will feature experts on the importance of having access to high-speed internet services for farmers and rural communities.
For all three days of Farmfest, the MCGA tent (booth No. 702, located at the corner of Seed Row and 7th Street) will be packed with everything attendees need to know about the latest corn farmer-funded research, MCGA initiatives and, of course, plenty of fun:
- MCGA needs your time and talents. Farmer-leaders and staff in the MCGA tent will be connecting with farmers who want to become more active in standing up and speaking out for agriculture and corn farming. Agriculture’s critics are getting louder. Are you willing to stand up and speak out?
- MCGA will once again be dishing up free scoops of sweet corn ice cream. This year’s sweet corn ice cream was made by the University of Minnesota.
- If you’ve ever wanted to try a cookie made from distillers dried grains (aka DDG, a by-product of the ethanol-making process), come by the MCGA tent for a free sample. Corn farmer-funded research through South Dakota State University is looking at using DDG in human foods.
- Free pizza! The MCGA tent is the place to go to get a coupon for a free slice of pizza from Tru Pizza.
- MCGA will be giving away pollinator-friendly seed packets and distributing information on how to make your farm more bee and butterfly friendly.
- A NASCAR showcar will be on display to promote the use of homegrown ethanol. All NASCAR vehicles run on E15, a blend of 15 percent ethanol and 85 percent regular gasoline.
- The American Lung Association in Minnesota’s Clean Air Choice team will be on hand to talk about ethanol’s air quality benefits and provide an overview of flex-fuel pumps.
- You can also visit with other MCGA partner organizations, including CommonGround, Speak for Yourself and the Minnesota Agricultural Water Resource Center.
Of course, MCGA will also be looking to add to its ranks at Farmfest. Farmer-leaders will be on hand to help you sign up and join MCGA, or renew an existing membership in just a few minutes. With nearly 7,200 members, MCGA is one of the largest and most active grassroots agriculture organizations in the United States.
See you at Farmfest!