The Minnesota Corn Growers Association (MCGA) will have a little bit of everything at this year’s Farmfest, which runs Aug. 1-3 at Gillfillan Estate, near Morgan.
From conservation-minded research and policy updates to sweet corn ice cream and cookies made with Distillers’ Dried Grains (DDGS), there will be a lot of excitement at the MCGA tent located at the corner of Seed Road and Seventh Street.
Here is what you will find at the MCGA tent during Farmfest 2017:
- Innovation Grant research spotlight: Corn farmer Brian Velde’s approach to irrigation defines the “innovation” aspect of MCGA’s farmer-led research program focused on conservation. Come by to see a demo of his project, which includes a pressurized drip tape system that is controlled by in-ground moisture sensors and above-ground plant temperature sensors, allowing Velde to adapt to the variability in his farm’s soils.
- Soil Health Partnership: Come chat with folks from the Soil Health Partnership, which is working to make agriculture more productive and sustainable through improved soil health. In addition to learning about their efforts, you can see the work of cover crops up close in a rooting depth display that includes cereal rye and tillage radishes.
- Center for Sustainable Polymers (CSP): This University of Minnesota institution is doing vital research to transform how plastics are made, including MCGA-funded research on using corn as a renewable resource. Chat with CSP researchers, learn more about CSP curriculum available through the 4-H program, or take part in hands-on demonstrations.
- Submit your comments on the 25 by 25 water quality initiative: Governor Dayton is calling on people across Minnesota to submit comments on how they would improve water quality by 25 percent by 2025. The farming community will be a vital contributor of ideas to this initiative, so stop by the tent to learn more about 25 by 25 and submit an idea to improve water quality in your region.
- Sweet corn ice cream and DDGS cookies: Always a fan favorite at Farmfest, MCGA will be bringing back delicious sweet corn ice cream made at the University of Minnesota Dairy Store. And don’t forget to grab a cookie to go with your ice cream – a DDGS cookie, that is! It’s all part of a South Dakota State University research project on food-grade DDGS funded by Minnesota’s corn farmers.
- Renew your MCGA membership or become a member! Become part of one of the largest grassroots organizations in the United States, and stand up and speak out for corn farming.
Finally, Minnesota Corn will again be sponsoring a free sweet corn feed at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, August 1 in the Wick Building. And don’t miss out on some of the great forums held throughout the week at FarmFest. MCGA grower leader and National Corn Board Member Tom Haag will participate in the national ag policy roundtable on Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. in the Wick Building with leaders from other agricultural organizations.
For a complete Farmfest schedule click here. We’ll see you at FarmFest 2017!