From regulations to exciting developments in the state’s ag sector, the last year has been a busy one for Minnesota’s corn growers. To recap the topics that caught your attention in 2017, the Minnesota Corn Growers Association (MCGA) put together the most read-stories from the MCGA blog.
Here are the seven most-popular posts from the past year:
- New tool helps farmers choose alternative practices to buffers: No surprise to most, stories from the MCGA blog that focused on the Minnesota Buffer Law caught your eye in 2017. The most-read overall from the year covered the MCGA-funded alternative practices tool, which helped farmers identify the practices that best fit their farm.
- Everything you need to know about nutrient rule: Released in July, the draft Nitrogen Fertilizer Rule was unveiled as part of the Minnesota Nitrogen Fertilizer Management Plan. The post included both background on the rule and stressed the importance for farmers to provide input during the summer comment period. The next version of the rule is expected to be released in the first part of 2018.
- Claremont ethanol plant expanding: In January, the renewable fuels industry received some good news as Al-Corn Clean Fuel announced it was increasing the capacity of its Claremont facility from 50 million gallons annually to as much as 120 gallons.
- Pre-register for MN Ag EXPO: Registration opened for one of the best winter ag shows in the state, held late January in Mankato, and many were excited to get their name on the list to attend. Registration for MN Ag EXPO 2018, held Jan 24-25, is open now. Learn more here.
- Co-op health plan offered to farmers, informational sessions scheduled: During the legislative session, a law was approved that enabled farmers to form health care cooperatives. This paved the way for 40 Square Cooperative Solutions to begin offering its form of self-funded health plans to Minnesota farmers.
- New tillage guide says less is more: Research has pointed to farmers taking a fresh look at conventional tillage practices and emphasized the benefits of reduced methods. The popularity of the Upper Midwest Tillage Guide as a free resource to Minnesota and North Dakota farmers made it clear farmers are interested in the topic.
- Legislative Recap: End of session and special session full of drama: In what was an especially suspenseful legislative session in 2017, the final recap from the Minnesota State Capitol summarized the final bills on buffer legislation, taxes, transportation, health insurance and more.