The 2018 Nitrogen Smart program will kick off Feb. 14 this year with an 11-city tour of educational seminars on nitrogen management. Supported by the Minnesota Corn Growers Association, more than 600 farmers have already attended the seminars to learn about the latest research on efficient nitrogen management practices that not only reduce environmental impacts, but also costs for the farmer.
For example, after attending seminars in the first two years of the program, nearly 70 percent of farmers changed their nitrogen rate. Farmers also lowered their average fertilizer costs by $7,181 in 2016 and $4,100 in 2017 due to the improved nitrogen management practices learned during the seminars.
Led by University of Minnesota Extension Educator Brad Carlson, Nitrogen Smart seminars are free to attend. You can learn more about the Nitrogen Smart program in a recent segment by Linder Media here.
- Feb. 14 at 1 p.m. — Caledonia: Conference Room, Justice Center
- Feb. 26 at 1 p.m. — Pipestone: MN West College, Room 0127, 1314 N Hiawatha Ave.
- Mar. 1 at 1 p.m. — Rosemount: U of M Research and Outreach Center, Headquarters Building, 1605 160th St. W
- Mar. 2 at 1 p.m. — Monticello: Monticello Community Center, Bridge Room, 505 Walnut St.
- Mar. 5 at 12:30 p.m. — Foley: Henry’s Catering and Banquet Center, 6774 Hwy 25 NE
- Mar. 12 at 1 p.m. — Olivia: Renville Co. Government Services Center, Lower Level Room 116, 105 S 5th St.
- Mar. 13 at 1 p.m. — North Mankato: South Central College, Conference Center, 1920 Lee Blvd.
- Mar. 16 at 1 p.m. — Cologne: Carver Co. Extension Office, 11360 US 212
- Mar. 20 at 1 p.m. — Ellendale: Ellendale Community Center
- Mar. 27 at 1 p.m. — Perham: The Cactus, 43521 Fort Thunder Rd.
- Mar. 28 at 1 p.m. — Ada: Ag Country, 901 W 1st. Ave.
For more information on Nitrogen Smart visit z.umn.edu/nitrogensmart.
For additional information on nutrient management from University of Minnesota Extension click here.
To view nitrogen-related research funded by Minnesota’s corn farmers click here.